The special court hearing the 2G spectrum scam on Friday granted bail to five businessmen, including Essar Tele Holding promoters Ravikant Ruia and Anshuman Ruia and Loop Telecom promoters Kiran and I P Khaitan.
All of them were charged with criminal conspiracy to cheat the telecom department, as part of the 2G spectrum scam. Ravi Ruia is India’s ninth richest, according to Forbes and is among the top businessmen in the country.
However, the Central Bureau of Investigations (CBI) court, charged the Ruias and Khaitan, along with Vikas Saraf, director-strategy, Essar Group, with criminal conspiracy and cheating.
CBI in its chargesheet filed on 12 December 2011, said Loop Telecom had made fraudulent applications for 21 circles on 3 September 2007, which was a result of ”the entire conspiracy to cheat the DoT through a fraudulent corporate veil, to hide the actual holding structure of Loop Telecom and Loop Mobile –… Continue reading
Five businessmen, including Essar Tele Holding promoters Ravi Kant and Anshuman Ruia and Loop Telecom promoters Kiran and I P Khaitan, all acused in the 2G spectrum allocation case, were granted bail today by a special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court.
The court, however, charged the Ruias and Khaitan, along with Vikas Saraf, director-strategy, Essar Group, with crinimal conspiracy and cheating.
|IN THE LOOP
A special court framed charges against five executives, including billionaire Ravi Ruia of the Essar conglomerate, on Friday, besides granting them bail. The case against them:
|* The Ruias owned 33% in… Continue reading|
New Delhi: Essar promoters Ravi and Anshuman Ruia, and Loop Telecom’s Kiran Khaitan and IP Khaitan have been charged with conspiracy while Essar’s Director for Strategy and Planning Vikash Saraf has been charged with cheating and conspiracy in the 2G spectrum allocation scam. The Special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court also granted them bail on a surety bond of Rs 5 lakh each while charging them.
Advancing arguments on framing of charges, CBI counsel A K Singh said Loop Telecom played “hide and seek” with the Department of Telecom (DoT) and concealed information from it regarding their relationship with Essar Group.
Referring to the conduct of Loop Telecom, he said, “first the company had not filed the clause 8 (of the Unified Access Services Licences guidelines) certificate which was mandatory to be submitted at the time of filing of the application (for spectrum) and secondly, when it gave… Continue reading
A special CBI court today granted bail to former telecom minister A Raja. Raja, who was arrested on February 2, 2011, is facing trial in the 2G spectrum allocation case and was the only accused in jail.
Special CBI judge OP Saini had on May 11 had reserved his order on Raja’s bail plea for
Raja has sought bail on the ground of parity with other 13 co-accused who have already secured it from the Supreme Court, Delhi high court and the trial court.
In his bail plea, Raja had said that case against him is “false and fabricated” and “not sustainable in law.”
The CBI had vehemently opposed Raja’s bail saying he cannot be released on the ground of parity as… Continue reading
A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court on Friday reserved the order on the bail plea of former Telecom Minister A Raja till May 15 in connection with the 2G spectrum scam case.
Raja has moved the court for the bail for the first time after his arrest in February last year.
The CBI reportedly opposed Raja’s bail plea in the court. Raja on May 9 applied for bail in the court.
Raja is the lone accused who has not secured the bail in the 2G case, where as rest of defendants have walked free.
The Supreme Court on May 9 granted bail to ex-telecom secretary Siddharth Behura in connection with the 2G spectrum allocation case.
Following Behura’s release on bail, Raja decided to move the court on the grounds of “parity” as all the accused in the case has been granted… Continue reading
NEW DELHI: During his stay in jail for fifteen months, former telecom minister A Raja did not even once move the trial court for bail unlike other co-accused in the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
His counsel Sushil Kumar had earlier told TOI that Raja was waiting for the right time to move for bail. Now, with the Supreme Court granting bail to former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura and Raja subsequently moving for bail in the trial court on the “grounds of parity”, lawyers in the 2G case said his chances of getting bail had got better.
Vijay Aggarwal, counsel for Raja’s ex-aide RK Chandolia, said that after the apex court’s order, the special CBI court “should not have any reservations” in granting bail to Raja. Besides granting bail to Behura, the apex court on Wednesday also upheld the trial court’s order granting bail to Chandolia. “The Supreme Court said that… Continue reading
A day before his 49th birthday, former telecom minister A. Raja has moved a bail application in a special CBI court after the Supreme Court granted bail to ex-telecom secretary Siddharth Behura in the 2G spectrum case.
Raja has sought bail on grounds of parity.
“Except me, all the other accused have been released on bail,” Raja’s lawyer said before special judge O.P. Saini.
Raja is one of the 19 individuals accused in the 2G spectrum allocation scam that has rocked the nation. However, he will have to spend his 49th birthday on Thursday in jail as the court has listed the case for hearing on Friday.
Apart from the 19 individuals, six telecom companies have also been named in the scam.
Earlier, in an interview to IANS, Raja had said he was not very keen on getting… Continue reading
NEW DELHI: Former telecom minister A Raja, the prime accused in the 2G spectrum allocation scam case, has sought bail from a Delhi court for the first time since his arrest on February 2 last year.
Raja moved court for bail within an hour of former telecom secretary Sidhharth Behura, who is also facing trial in the scam, was granted bail by the Supreme Court. CBI special judge OP Saini will hear Raja’s bail plea on Friday.
Raja’s legal representatives asked the CBI court to grant him bail on grounds of parity with the other 13 accused who face the same charges but have been released on bail. An application for bail filed by his lawyers said that the case against him is “false and fabricated and not sustainable on law or on facts”.
Raja has been accused of granting mobile licences and airwaves in 2008 to companies that the… Continue reading
New Delhi, May 9 — A day before his 49th birthday, former telecom minister A. Raja Wednesday moved a bail application in a special CBI court after the Supreme Court granted bail to ex-telecom secretary Siddharth Behura in the 2G spectrum case. He has sought bail on grounds of parity.
“Except me, all the other accused have been released on bail,” Raja’s lawyer said before special judge O.P. Saini. Raja is one of the 19 individuals accused in the 2G spectrum allocation scam that has rocked the nation.
However, Raja will have to spend his 49th birthday Thursday in jail as the court has reserved its order till Friday.
Earlier, in an interview to IANS, Raja had said he was not very keen on getting out on bail as he would prefer to walk out of prison with “clean hands” in the 2G controversy.
Raja had resigned Nov 14, 2010… Continue reading